Skip to main content

The Bavarian-Indian Centre for Business and University Cooperation (BayIND) serves as a central contact point for Indian students, researchers and universities regarding exchange and cooperation opportunities with Bavaria.


Study in Bavaria

Due to the low tuition fees and excellent studying conditions, Bavarian Universities and Universities of Applied Sciences increasingly attract international students. There are plenty of degree courses, summer and winter schools conducted in the English language. These are listed on the Study-in-Bavaria website.

Overview of Higher Education & Research Institutions in Bavaria

  • 9 Bavarian state Universities
  • 17 state Universities of Applied Sciences
  • 6 state Universities of Arts
  • 12 Bavarian locations of Max-Planck Institutes (for basic research)
  • 11 Bavarian institutes and establishments of the Fraunhofer Gesellschaft (for applied research)
  • 3,900 partnerships and cooperations with foreign Universities and Colleges in approximately 123 countries

Integration in Bavaria

The International Offices (Akademische Auslandsämter), which are located at the universities will support you during your first steps in Germany. Among other activities, they provide bureaucratic support in terms of registration so that questions relating to residence permits could be clarified easily. There is always an active community of Bavarian or international students which will accommodate newcomers.



Online Seminars

Interested to do a Master’s degree in Bavaria?

Attending a university in the heart of Europe is definitely a great choice! Apart from the high quality of life in Bavaria, Bavarian universities are well-known for their wide range of courses and high academic standards. If you want to find out which university and degree course is right for you, then join one of our live info-sessions.

The seats are limited so if you are interested to join the sessions, check the programme here and please register under this link.

For more information check the university profiles below or join our WhatsApp Group.


Please join the BayIND Science Office Facebook page to keep yourself updated on universities and study programmes in Bavaria.


Also check the following webpage to find your study programme in English:

For individual counselling please send an E-Mail or call our Science Office in Bangalore, India. We will be happy to inform you about higher education opportunities in Bavaria.

To obtain general information on studying in Germany you can always check the DAAD webpage. You'll also find a database with scholarships there.

Under the mentioned links you will find databases about the courses the universities offer. Further, we are there to help you! And don't miss the pdf on the webpage which lists all "Degree Courses in English" in Bavaria.


Unfortunately, you do not have direct access to German universities if you passed your 12th class. The steps mentioned beow can make you eligible for a Bachelor programme in Germany:


  1. You have to do a one-year subject-related preparatory course in Germany, called "Studienkolleg".
  2. If you have successfully completed JEE examination you can do your Bachelor in the field of technology and natural sciences.
  3. If you have already studied one year of Bachelor in India, you are qualified for direct subject-restricted admission. This allows you to apply directly to a German higher education institution for studies in the subject area of your previous academic studies or a related subject.

In Germany every university is autonomous and each study programme has its own set of criteria for admitting students. Please check the webpage of the course and university you are interested in.

With a four-year Bachelor degree from India, most universities in Germany will consider you eligible for Masters (provided you fulfil other criteria as defined by the university). If you have a three-year Bachelor degree from India, please get in touch with the course corodinator before applying.

Some universities will ask for TOEFL/IELTS/GRE/GMAT depending on the study course.

Majority of the study courses at public Bavarian universities are tution free. Students only need to pay a small administrative fee. This is possible because education is financed by the German government.

For monthly living expenses you need to have Euro 934 (for rent, food, public transport etc).


Yes, students are allowed to work 120 full or 240 half days per calendar year.


There are a number of scholarships for talented international students in Bavaria. For further information check out the information on Study in Bavaria's website. 


Only if the course you want to apply for is taught fully or partially in German. Germany offers numerous International Degree Programmes with English as a language of instruction.  Although your course might be in English, it is still advisable to learn the German language. Not only will you be more integrated in Germany, but also it is fun to learn a new language in a country where you can actually practice it daily. So make the best of your stay and learn as much as you can!


You can learn German at one of the several Max Mueller Bhavan Institutes in India. Please check here.


Application deadlines vary depending on the study course and the university you select. It also depends whether you start in the summer or winter semester.  We advice you to please check with the university.


The International Office at your selected University will help you. Please contact them if you have any questions.


Germany is a safe place and Bavaria is one of the safest German federal state with the lowest crime rate. Students from all over the world can feel secure and at home here.


After successfully completing your studies, you can extend your residence permit for up to 18 months in order to find the right employment.

Bavaria has one of the strongest economies in Europe. Many international companies are based here. Bavaria tries to help top international students to stay and work in Bavaria. See here.


To know the details about Student VISA click here.

An APS certificate is the prerequisite for your visa application.

  • It is proof of authenticity for Indian academic documents.
  • It states the guiding eligibility criteria, which the German universities apply to the candidates while offering the students admission to the courses.
  • Holding an APS certificate will simplify your application process to the German universities and accelerate your student visa application.
  • An original certificate issued by the APS is mandatory for the student visa application.

Click here for the details.

Research in Bavaria

Bavarian Research Landscape

Bavaria has an excellent national and international reputation as a location for science and research. Above all, the state of Bavaria is a trendsetter in the fields of information technology, biotechnology, nanosciences, energy, and environmental technology.

Research and doctoral studies can be conducted at one of the state‘s top research universities as well as at the research institutes like Max Planck or Fraunhofer Institutes, or in the industrial sector. Many Universities of Applied Sciences now collaborate with research universities to offer joint doctoral programmes.

A complete list of all Bavarian research universities and institutes can be viewed under this link.

Why to do your PhD in Bavaria? 

  • No tuition fees
  • Excellent research environment
  • Top-ranked universities
  • Top non-university research institutions
  • Bavaria is one of the safest states in Germany
  • Bavaria has one of the strongest economies in Europe
  • Many international companies are based in Bavaria
  • A high quality of life

Am I eligible for a PhD?

You need to have a recognized higher education degree to qualify for a PhD. Generally, a Master Degree from India makes you eligible for a PhD in Germany. In some cases, further proof of examination to assess the eligibility will be required.

Is German a must?

Germany offers numerous PhD programs in English. But as your life is also outside the university, German will be helpful.

Funding for your PhD

There are various ways and opportunities to fund a PhD in Bavaria. One option is employment as a research associate at a university or at a non-university research institute. It is also possible to work part-time in the industry. A second option is a scholarship. The DAAD is Germany’s largest funding organization especially for PhD candidates from abroad. There are also several other funding organizations like the DFG.

A full overview of all German funding organizations can be found here.

Where can you do your PhD?

A list of all Bavarian universities and a comprehensive guide on how to identify a suitable PhD programme is provided by "Research in Bavaria".

If you need more guidance please contact the BayIND Science Office.

Interesting links

Work in Bavaria

Do you want to come to Bavaria for work? Or did you already study in Bavaria and now you want to gain some work experience?

Bavaria offers the best future perspective of all German States and you will find numerous job offers and development opportunities in every sector. Just have a look at the job search engines mentioned below.

Internships in Bavaria

Doing an internship during your studies is very common in Germany and almost every company offers positions where you can gain work experience already during your studies. These internships last between two to six months and involve most of the time the implementation of your own project. 

Interested? Have a look at this database to find a company which is interested in indo-german business or try out one of the job search engines mentioned above to find your next internship in Bavaria!

In Germany, internships are very common and almost every company accepts interns but not all are offering special internship programs including a special project or an individual supervisor. For finding a special programme, one has to search for specific advertisements on job engines or on the company’s website. Please refer to the link box on how to work in Bavaria? for further information.

German language skills in the working environment are often important, but sometimes only an asset. This is mostly depending on the size and the international scope of the company as well as its own language policies.


An application for a German company consists of three parts: first is the cover letter in which the applicant explains his/her interest in the company, previous experience in the academic and professional field and his own strengths. This document should not exceed one page. Second is the C.V. which includes  personal data, education, professional experience, additional skills (like languages, computer skills, social commitment, and experience abroad) and hobbies. This document should not exceed two pages. Third is the final grade report from school/university as well as recommendation letters from former employers. Nowadays it is quite usual to send the application attached via mail, if the companies prefer to get it by post, it should be mentioned on their website.


For some more detailed information about the application in Germany, please refer to this link.

Taking up an internship during studying is a very common practice in Germany and that's why there is a lot of competition, particularly at big companies.

Once you are accepted for an internship position there are several bureaucratic procedures to fulfil. Therefore, one should apply early, at least six months in advance. This does not mean that it is not possible to get an internship faster, but it is less stressful for sure.


Even though this depends on the company, usually the application process takes some time, especially in bigger companies where the application has to pass different departments. It is totally fine to ask for a confirmation of receipt after one or two days, but it is perceived to be impolite to ask on a frequent basis and might even reduce your chances of getting it. Of course, if you have not heard anything after one month, it is fine to send a mail or give a phone call and express your interest in the internship.


To apply for an Internship Visa, check the following checklist . The approval letter and the consent letter have to be obtained in cooperation with your German employer. Please keep in mind that also German bureaucracy might take some time!

You are required to apply for the Visa at an Embassy or Consulate in your local Jurisdiction.

Please Note: Obtaining a National Visa is time consuming and a lengthy process. You should start the whole process at least two months before your date of departure.

To schedule an appointment with the Consulate, you should contact VFS Global. The information regarding scheduling an appointment for your local jurisdiction is as follows.

While preparing your documents listed in the checklist please keep in mind the following instructions: the demand draft needs to be from a nationalized bank. You are required to carry it to the appointment at the Consulate. The exact amount is mentioned on the webpage. The application form can be handwritten and enough copies should be carried.

After being accepted for the internship you will need to apply for your visa. As you will be working in Germany, it is needed that the International Placement Service of the German Employment Agency is informed and permits the internship. For this, your employer has to apply for your work permit and only after receiving this you can file your visa application. For further information, please refer to the website of the German Employment Agency (Website in German!)


When you are looking for an apartment or a room, it is always helpful to ask your employer for help. Some companies have special intern apartments or some of your future colleagues might be able to help. In any case, you could have a look at, where you can find rooms in shared apartments. As this is a common way of living for students and young people, this option is usually a bit cheaper and also offers you some new contacts in the new city! If you prefer to live alone, you can check or, but please consider the fact that there might be an estate agent involved or that you are supposed to rent an apartment on a long-term basis.